Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Silent Night, Cacophanous Night

I've been going through a bit of a dry spell. No kills over a period of several days. Today was shaping up for more of the same: plenty of other pirates out there, most higher than me on the food chain, but nobody larking about the belts in a ship too advanced for their abilities. I took advantage of the calm to haul some loot to my home base.

One problem with T1 frigate piracy is our holds are so small. It is not uncommon for me to kill a single ship and be unable to fit all the loot in my hold--especially if my victim had been mining or ratting and looting himself. One result is that I end up with little caches of loot all over the region. Some of that loot is quite valuable. Tonight, I cherry-picked some of the loot at one of my frontier hub stations, and filled my hold with T2 modules to take home and transfer to a trader who can get top dollar on everything for me.

So of course, as soon as I had my hold packed to the brim, I spied a Retriever all by himself on an asteroid belt. As soon as I got a fix on his exact location, I jettisoned my precious T2 cargo and warped to his belt. As my weapons systems overwhelmed his defenses, I tried to open a ransom channel, but my victim not only refused to talk with me, he blocked me from ever contacting him in the future. I blew up his ship, blasted his pod, and scooped up his drones. Then I inspected his wreck...and saw that I had a problem.

In addition to a nice T2 cargo expander, my victim had several hundred thousand ISK worth of ore in his hold. Normally I ignore ore (I'm a pirate, not a miner), but if this guy came back to salvage what he could of his wreck, I wanted him to know I was the beneficiary of all his hard work. So, I filled my hold with what I could, warped to a safe spot in space, and jettisoned the cargo; then I went to my earlier vantage point and recovered what I'd jettisoned there--it was all too accessible to anyone who might wander by. After depositing that cargo with the loot at my safe spot, I began making trip after trip to the wreck, filling my hold with pure jasper and pristine jasper again and again.

Eventually my global criminal timer expired, and I began hauling the ore directly to a space station. When the wreck was emptied, I began transferring cargo from my jettisoned cargo container at my safe spot to the safety of the station.

And then a Vexor showed up on my scanner. Now Vexors are deadly, but I've killed them in my Incursus before--and this pilot had only a month experience, and according to my scanners was fielding a mixed bag of T1 drones. I decided to risk it--and boy, am I glad I did. The Vexor dropped fast; he didn't have much of any kind of tank, to be honest. And because it was Christmas, both the Prototype Cloaking Device he had fitted and the two T2 cargo expanders he had in cargo all survived the battle.

I took me several trips to transfer the Vexor loot to my jettisoned cargo can in space. When my new criminal timer expired, I resumed transfering the Retriever and Vexor loot to my locker in the space station. With less than two hundred cubic meters of ore remaining, my jettisoned cargo container finally lost structural integrity, and I could sit back and take a deep breath. I estimate I made 20 runs with cargo, from belt to safe spot, planet to safe spot, safe spot to space station, belt 2 to safespot, and more safespot to space station. The whole process was time-consuming, tedium interrupted by brief spurts of intensity, and...profitable.

7 comments:

RevengeIsSweet said...

I just wanted to wish you a Happy New Year...

AvengingAngel said...

Me too!

Not that it's going to be especially happy for you, but you can always hope, right?

Maleficence said...

RIS - thanks for the invite. Wouldn't miss it for the universe!

Maleficence said...

Guys - Wanted to let you know the party just got a lot bigger. It's going to be awesome!!

AvengingAngel said...

A little pre-show entertainment today - check it out chaps!

Arkanjuca said...

about the loot, try to get a ship with bigger cargo container, like a navitas or even an indy ship fitted with speed mods.... bookmark the wreck, warp in, activate afterburner and quickly deactivate. you will manage to scoop the loot, command to warp back, and by the time the afterburner deactivate, you will be in warp.

Ka Jolo said...

So did you guys get me? I couldn't tell.