Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Excuses, excuses

I've written before about the polite offering of a simple "gf." Lately, I've come to appreciate that simple courtesy even more. You may assume that, if a foe does not transmit "gf" in a public channel after a fight, the most common alternative might be some smacktalk. And yet, while smack is directed my way on a regular basis (even from people whose ships I have killed), the most common alternative to a respectful "gf" is in fact an excuse.

Quite commonly the pilot claims to not have been paying attention: "Napping is bad." "That's what I get for watching TV." "Was AFK." "Eating and EVE don't mix." Normally, for my part I just leave it at "gf," but here I'll tell you what I'm thinking. Do they really think they would have beat me if they'd been right there, ready to go? Would I have attacked them with something I didn't think would beat them under most circumstances--certainly including a savvy and prepared pilot? I don't think so. And anyway, I don't buy this excuse much. It is certainly plausible for a pilot to park at a safespot while taking a quick break of some sort or while his attention is directed elsewhere; I've done it myself (and said "gf" when I've returned to a dead or dying ship). But when I am immediately locked back (competent PVP pilots don't have this done automatically), when their drones immediately deploy, or when their backup arrives while the fight is still on, I call "Shenanigans!" They were there, they were fighting, they were pwned.

"Lag =P" is another one I hear quite a bit. Plausible--I've died due to lag myself now and again. But often I experienced the same lag spike as my opponent during the fight, and still won. Or how about this excuse: "I would have had you except I was targeting an asteroid/the container/the beacon." That's right, a person so stupid as to fight a harmless object while I'm opening a can of whoopass on their sorry ship is coincidentally so uber they would beat me if, by some quirk of fate, they managed to target me? I don't think so. That's right up there with the pilots who discount my victory over them by claiming, "You're lucky I wasn't in [some other ship they can fly]." Why? Do they think I would have attacked their Nyx with my Thorax? And what does it matter? The fact is--now give me my due--I hunted them down and killed them in the ship they were actually flying. Come on, that's got to be worth something!

These excuses--excuses of any kind, even true ones--are lame. Win or lose, just say, "gf."

In the meantime, I will continue my search for a bona fide victory: An engagement with an opponent who is ready for me, confident in his ship's abilities, and one I can still win. Do such pilots exist?

13 comments:

Sard Caid said...

Well, it's often from where I'm sitting it wasn't a good fight. In that event, I often type "Nice gank" into local. I'm not (terribly) bitter, just a realist.

As far as 1v1s go, I've had a good deal of luck finding them while flying in cruisers and battlecruisers. It doesn't hurt to ask in local for a 1v1 if your target is being dodgy and avoiding you otherwise; I've managed a few fights that way as well.

So, after that parting statement, I have to ask: are you a pirate, or a PvPer? Whether it's one or the other, please elaborate on your choice.

Kaya Valda said...

I rarely chat in local at all, and I certainly don't say 'gf' unless it actually was a good fight. In the same respect I don't initiate smack in local (although I have been know to defend myself).

As I pirate I thrive on other people's tears in local, and if I lose I certainly don't want to provide the same enjoyment to them.

Cyron said...

If I'm doing something in low sec and not PvP fit, and someone jumps me and kills me, I'm not going to say "gf" as it likely wasn't a good fight. I might give them a "wd" if they had to go to effort to track me down, but that's about it...

Lee said...

I agree with Sard on this one, if you are looking to engage as a pirate, selecting the weak/defenseless/unaware is the preferred tactic. Piracy is about kills (even noob kills) not fairness. I have been engaging NPC battleships in 0.0 space with my neut 'phoon and have pirate types drop by the belt for a visit on several occasions. Once they see the 'phoon in action they do not engage and I go on my merry way- looting and popping. If you are looking for 1v1's you can find that even in hi sec, or just drop a can and cloak and engage when they loot ur can. It's really all about what you are looking for, and Eve gives you plenty of options.

Melnick said...

Like a said yesterday on local when people make excuses, i know is hard not to justify your lost with some excuses, but just man up and suck it up.

Now i wouldn't say gf if it wasn't a good fight i would normally just quick quiet and suck up lost.

Nursultan said...

I somehow cannot make myself type "gf" after killing a noob/miner/afk pilot so in those cases i just say nothing.
But yes, excuses are lame. If you were at a disadvantage (and allowed others to exploit it), it was your fault.

K5 - Leo said...

Such people DO exist! I guarantee it :)

For the rest that smacktalk, their death was deserved... with many more to come. At least they lost, it's worse when they win and try to rub it in...

Whatever the case, the exception DOES exist.

I'll leave it at that.

f0st3r said...

I dont usually put the 'gf' up in local if the target doesn't fight back, because its not a fight then. But as far as honest 1v1's, ill bring up Mike Lowery. He was camping station yesterday?, in a drake, I undocked in a drake. He started firing on me, so I let him poke at me, while he couldnt break my tank, he commented in local, "fight back", I said "why, you have a falcon sitting on station", he didn't say anything right back.. Then said, "So your not gonna fight?" I just didnt even comment, I just docked and went and tended to the kids.. Its hard to find honest 1v1's..

Leumas said...

Overconfidence in one's own ability certainly seems to be a common condition. My brother-in-law has this particular delusion in spades. As he engages enemies, any victory is due to his own prowess, while any loss must be the fault of the computer system due to lag or some faulty explosion or targetting problems. It couldn't possibly be that the other player might be more skilled, or perhaps had more luck in that encounter.

Personally, I am a carebear through and through. If I end up in a fight, it is never good.

Ka Jolo said...

Bah. I'm not looking for fair fights or 1-v-1's. I don't even care too much if you don't tell me "gf" when I gank you. Just don't sell me some lame excuse.

Cussbeard said...

gp

Enjoyed reading this one. Good post.

Johannes said...

"In the meantime, I will continue my search for a bona fide victory: An engagement with an opponent who is ready for me, confident in his ship's abilities, and one I can still win. Do such pilots exist?"

"Bah. I'm not looking for fair fights or 1-v-1's. I don't even care too much if you don't tell me "gf" when I gank you. Just don't sell me some lame excuse."

I don't think these add up.

On the subject of "gf", I've found that Tuskers seem to regard almost anything as a "good fight". This makes me wonder if they actually think 10v1 qualifies as a "good fight", and how limited their PvP experience must be to regard it as such. Generally speaking I think initiating an exchange of "gf" in local should be left at the discretion of the party who lost - the other way around is easily interpreted as rubbing it in (well, provided the fight wasn't actually a really good and close fight).

2 cents.

On a more off-topic note, I'm happy to see that you are still blogging. I've been away from the game for a few months and while I suppose we are now sworn enemies (I've had my share of encounters with your lot) I'll enjoy reading up on what I've missed here.

All the best,
Caelum Dominus.

NG said...

"On the subject of "gf", I've found that Tuskers seem to regard almost anything as a "good fight". This makes me wonder if they actually think 10v1 qualifies as a "good fight", and how limited their PvP experience must be to regard it as such."

I prefer to think of a 'GF' as a simple pleasantry, similar to a 'Thank You' or 'Well Done'. You say GF anyways [whether it was a decent fight or otherwise] as a way of showing that there are no hard feelings.

My 0.02 cents

Nate (n1231)